Three minute thesis
“An 80,000 word thesis would take 9 hours to present. Their time limit…3 minutes”
WHAT IS 3 MT?
- Research communication competition developed by the University of Queensland and the first competition was held in the year 2008.
- The Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Christian Medical College, Vellore is recognised by the University of Queensland to hold 3MT competitions.
- Students have three minutes to present a compelling oration on their thesis and itssignificance
- Challenges students to consolidate their ideas and research discoveries.
- So they can be presented concisely to a non-specialist audience.
WHY PARTICIPATE IN 3MT?
- Skills Training
- Develops academic presentation and research communication skills.
- Developing ability to effectively explain research in a language appropriate to non specialist audience.
- Building Research Culture
- Opportunity for students to come together, and talk about their research.
- Supportive environment for presentation skills, training.
- All Assistant Professors/ senior residents currently working in the Christian Medical College (Medical, Nursing and Allied health)
- All PhD Students / completed PhD in the last 2 years who have passed the project through the Institutional Review Board.
- Winners of previous 3MT competition are not eligible
HOW TO APPLY
- Send Name, Designation, Department and Slide for presentation (only one) to email@example.com. Fifteen will be shortlisted for the competition.
- A single static Power Point slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration)
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipments) are permitted
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitions exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs)
- Presentations are to commences from the stage
- Presentation slide size should be (10 inches width and 7.5 inches height)
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech
- The decisions of the adjudicating panel is final.
JUDGING (Each criterion is equally weighted and has an emphasis on audience)
- COMPREHENSION 2. ENGAGEMENT 3. COMMUNICATION
- First Place : Rs.10,000/- cash prize
- Second Place : Rs. 7,000/- cash prize
- Third Place : Rs. 3,000/- cash prize
- PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE (SOFT COPY) WILL BE PROVIDED
The previous years 3MT proceedings can be viewed in the links provided below.