Workshop on Diagnostic Test Methods
This course provides exhaustive knowledge in the principles and practice of Diagnostic tests to comprehend reliability and validity of a new diagnostic test, the biases and the challenges in designing a study and, critically evaluate a diagnostic study article. This course will also cover the basics of quality control methods in a laboratory. This course will include lectures and comprise a series of practical.
- The learn the concept of what is disease
- To learn the diagnostic thinking process and the phases of development of diagnostic tests
- To understand the principles of Validity and Reliability
- To be competent in calculating and interpreting diagnostic statistics, sensitivity, specificity, PPV,NPV
- To understand the concept of Bayesian thinking and the basic Bayesian formula
- To be able to calculate and interpret Likelihood ratios as well as post test probabilities
- To be able to interpret serial and parallel tests
- To understand the concepts of ruling in or ruling out disease with respect to ideal cut-off points
- To learn ROC curves-principles and interpretation
- To interpret screening tests and their use and pitfalls
- To be able to critically appraise an article on Diagnostic test accuracy
- To be able to understand the concept and critically appraise a diagnostic systematic review
- To introduce the concept of health technology assessment
Who should apply?
This course is tailored to medical college faculty who are post, allied health professionals, nonmedical faculty, and/or researchers actively involved in diagnostic test research (validity and reliability studies), or teaching institution or in furthering their knowledge and skills in methodology.
The target audience is Government medical college doctors who are post MD/MS, teaching faculty.
The Stem Cell Research Center,
Christian Medical College,
For registration, click here
1. The number of participants will be 30
2. The application process is online and can be accessed from the CEU CMC Vellore website, www.clinepi.cmcvellore.org/ or the BVMC website, www.bvmc.in. The last day for applying online is 15/11/2019 before 6 PM.
3. Eligibility criteria
- Confirmed faculty of a Government medical college in India
- Assistant/ Associate or Professor level
- Should write a short note on how this workshop will benefit the participant and their teaching of students
- The applications will be scrutinized by the CDSA-CMC team and the final list of 30 participants will be informed by 18/11/2019.
- Train travel (3rd AC, local transport, Shared accommodation, workshop material and food expenses for the 3 days will be taken care of by CDSA
- Research questions and study designs
- What is disease?
- How do we diagnose?
- Diagnostic Study Designs-Phases
- Tests as part of a clinical pathway
- Types of Validity & Reliability
- The Diagnostic studies Statistics: SN, SP, PPV NPV, Effect of prevalence
- Diagnostic odds P value and LR, Bayesian
- Indeterminate, Intermediate, un-interpretable results
- Bias in diagnostic study including Spectrum Bias, Verification Bias
- Critical appraisal
- Sample size calculation
- Parallel and Multiple tests
- Philosophy of ROC
- How to construct ROC Curve
- Choosing he ideal cut-off points Using LR, ROC
- Comparing two tests using ROC Curve
- Economics and diagnostic tests, Health tech assessment
- Systematic Reviews of diagnostic studies and MA
- Diagnostic SR critical appraisal
The faculty for the course includes renowned epidemiologists, statisticians and physicians trained in clinical epidemiology from CMC, Vellore. The detailed list of faculty and the complete brochure is available here